Tuesday, April 8, 2014

[sitting on] Pins and Needles, mostly just needles

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending two doctor's appointments. Yipee!

First, I had to get checked out for my job at NASA. I had no idea how involved these tests were going to be. After the ease of the FAA's medical appointments (not the process, just the appointment), I was shocked when NASA asked me to pee in a cup, take 3 tubes of blood, take an honest-to-God eye test, sit in a soundproof hearing booth, get stuck with a TB skin test and finally complete an EKG. Dang! Even though it sounds like a rough morning, everything went fine. I will go back tomorrow morning for them to check the TB test and then again in about a month for "Part 2"...dun dun dun.


After that fun, I also had an endo appointment in the afternoon. I went back to the first clinic I tried in Texas but asked to see a different doctor. She was, well, ok. I wasn't exactly impressed, but I also wasn't afraid of her doing what happened last time. I was happy with my A1c at 6.8 (this is one of my best so far), but she was a little scared that I was "taking too much insulin." I tried to explain how I use the CGM to avoid lows, so this A1c is not a consequence of too many low blood sugars. Not sure if she believed me, but we moved on. She also didn't say, "WOW!!! Great A1c!!!" like I was hoping for, but whatevs. She asked that I get some lab work done, so I marched out to the calming waiting room and waited for my pager to go off.

After nearly an hour it buzzed, so I trotted back to pee in a cup again and give more blood. I guess my veins weren't cooperating, so after bruising up my right arm the tech went back into my left (remember, I had already done bloodwork that morning). So, I have some colorful elbow areas, oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the A1c!!! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice A1C! I have troublesome veins so I have to prep the person taking it. After weekly double arm sticks for a couple months, I learned to ask for the butterfly needle and to let them know my veins veer medially. It has really helped them get it on the first try. I'm sorry you had to endure such invasive testing. Good luck on your quest for the perfect endo!

    ReplyDelete